Bored and Blogging

Oy! What a weekend… Amelia was cranky the entire weekend and that confused Greg and me until we noticed that she’s drooling excessively and has shown signs that her ear is hurting (by cupping her hand over her ear), but she doesn’t have a fever; we’re assuming her crankiness is due to another tooth pushing through (thus the reason for her earache), but if her symptoms of the earache don’t improve then I’m going to call her pediatrician.  

Otherwise, our Sunday went like this… 

Sadly, I don’t remember how the morning started so I will start with Costco. Greg and I did some serious shopping and renewed our membership (I remember the night I went to Costco to open a membership; it was my first week back at work and Amelia was just about 6 weeks old). We bought Amelia a new dress for the spring/summer – she picked it out. The size we bought was 18 mos. (which she’ll be in July) because we figure she’ll be wearing that size by then. That dress has been the first thing we bought for Amelia since November and in a size she’ll be wearing in the future, which got me wondering about clothing between 12 months and 18 months: I don’t think there is a size in between. I’m used to clothing for Amelia being between age ranges: 0-3 mos, 3-6 mos, 6-9 mos and then 12 mos – that made the first year of shopping easy but what happens once you reach and pass 12 months; I haven’t seen any clothing for 12-15 mos? Maybe toddlers don’t change much from 12 to 18 months? Maybe I’m over thinking this and I’m sure I’ll learn how the clothing works once it’s time to buy her new clothes. 

Continuing with the Costco shopping… It’s so cool to open the freezer and see it stuffed with food! And, surprisingly (as it was something we intended to buy) we didn’t buy a single microwaveable meal. I (since I am the one that cooks most of our dinners) picked out our meats (hamburger, pork chops, and round eye roasts) and planned what to use them for. And, to try something different, I bought a chunk of beef tip for dinner (Sunday’s dinner). To make a long, detailed, story short, we spent about two hours and $275 dollars (including the renewal fee).  

I must mention the best thing Greg and I bought the weekend we went to Ikea – the .59 jumbo blue bag because that one little bag carried so much and made transporting all the items from Costco to our condo so much easier (for Greg) to carry up three flights of stairs. 

Once we were home (I’m debating if I want to talk about the stinkiest, messiest, worst diaper I’ve ever changed in my entire life. For the first time I was literally gaging from the smell of what came out of Amelia), we put the food away and I separated the meats for individual use (l learned my lesson with a package of chicken from Giant last week; it’s incredibly difficult to take apart chicken breasts when they’re brick hard).

Yeah, boring day – huh? 

Let’s see, it was about 3pm when we made it home and Amelia went down for a nap at 4 (thankfully) and slept until 5:50! During that time Greg started to organize all his ‘stuff’; we bought a bookcase on Saturday and Greg assembled it and was determined to put the books and other stuff that was taking up space in his closet onto the bookcase. I continued with the laundry and just vegged on the couch.  

Around 6pm I being dinner by placing the hunk of beef tip in the oven and begin working on the Anniversary Weekend post. 

Around 7pm I start working on the other items for dinner (rolls and mashed potatoes) while Greg gives Amelia her bath. 

Around 7:45 my mom calls and we chat for a bit while I watched Amelia so Greg could eat dinner. Amelia kept trying to take the phone from me to talk to Nana Sue and would end up pushing buttons or hanging up (just once).  

Dinner was fabulous! Greg said that was the best steak he’s ever had – ever! And he’s right. The steak was so soft and buttery; it was juicy and full of flavor and just amazing. That has to be, hands down, the best meal I’ve cooked since living in the condo (I am a charcoal grill cooker and I’ve cooked some damn good roasts and hamburgers in my time). 

Around 8:30 we tried to put Amelia to bed but we were having the same problem as Saturday night: she just couldn’t fall asleep; she would lay in her crib and talk.

Eventually she fell asleep (around 9:00) and I focused on completing the Anniversary Weekend post and Greg set to go through his closet and all his tubs.  

Greg, if you recall me mentioning, is a pack rat to the umpteenth degree. When we started packing in June he had about 8 storage tubs full of stuff from the last 10+ years. Some things I can understand why he saved them: high school photo, tassel, and mug; memorabilia from MicroProse (his first real job that he loved); a few travel related things and tickets, cards from his 21st birthday, some random items (such as a name tag) from his old friends Doug and Jeff, and a few pictures from when he went to Disney World (just the pictures of him with a few characters; no pictures of his ex). Except Greg has magazines, game boxes, pay stubs, bank statements from when he lived in upstate NY, newspapers, and so much more stuffed into these tubs! His ‘collection’ continues into my closet as well. The last time Greg went through his ‘memory tubs’, he consolidated everything into 3 tubs and last night he’s down to a shoebox for the ‘most important’ stuff and about a half of a tub for the ‘just because’ stuff. I’m proud of him for ‘letting go’ of some of this stuff; it was hard for him to ask himself if he really needed to hold onto some things (magazines, game boxes, etc).  

Um, yeah… we were up until 1:30am. It took me forever to finish the Anniversary Weekend post and I was tempted to stop around 11:30 with the intent to finish later (knowing that I probably wouldn’t even think about it for at least another week – if that) but decided that I made it this far (by this point I was working on the Assateague Island portion of the post) I might as well finish. 

That was my Sunday. 

Monday has been a whole hell of a lot easier (compared to previous Mondays)! I brought in my newest wedding magazine (that was purchased at Target on Saturday and Amelia has since nearly destroyed) and a book, Painless Grammar by Rebecca Elliott, Ph.D. (that I bought at Costco). The magazine provided visual stimulation and the book provided mental stimulation (I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting to see perfect grammar in my posts from this moment on). The book is well written and I am enjoying it; it’s like a little refresher course in English 111, and when I feel that I am capable of taking on a college course in English at least I be able to understand some parts of proper grammar (since I am thinking about taking English 111, online, at the local community college and then move onto creative writing). 

I sent an email to Denise with our flight information and she sounded pretty excited about our upcoming visit. We talked about things Amelia will need while in Michigan (car seat, highchair, stroller, etc) because her friend owns a baby (supply) rental business; clever business to start – I would never have thought about renting items for a baby. I wonder how successful her business is… 

Greg and I have been exchanging emails throughout the day as well; we’ve talked about our Michigan trip, cruise reservations (we haven’t booked, yet), weekend plans since Pat (one of Greg’s younger brothers) has made it home for leave, and just general chit chat. 

Earlier today I was in a review meeting (held monthly) and realized, as I was about sign my name that I need to start using my maiden name. That realization felt so weird to me and I didn’t know how to sign my name! I ended up using the current (though my name has been officially changed at work) and then moving forward I will use my maiden name. When I got out of the review meeting I started ‘practicing’ signing my maiden name. And then, during my lunch hour, I called my bank and credit cards to have my name changed. Now, I just need to go to the MVA to change my name on my license and I have a feeling that is going to be a little more time consuming.  

Thursday, the 21st, Greg and I are going to fill out the paper work and apply for our passports. I can’t believe how much these things cost, but at the same time they’re good for 10 years. I wonder how long it’s going to take for us to physically receive the passports; do we have to pick them up at the post off when they’re ready or will they come in the mail? Guess I’ll find out on Thursday. 

At least I feel the day was productive.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s